Employee happiness can be measured in terms of good working relationships with colleagues and a knowledgeable and responsible supervisor, leading to much improved work effectiveness. In addition, good office design is a key factor helping motivate employees to enjoy coming to work every day. This certainly can help promote increased productivity.
For this reason, smart office plays an important role in building success for companies. For a workplace to be utilized to full capacity, a good office is more than a space for locating office equipment and a place for people to work, but actually drives success with punctilious design.
Ways that Office Design Promotes Effective Workplaces
1. Uses technology to reduce document filing processes.
Smart office is a new way of creating an efficient work environment, enabling technology to improve the employee experience. Prime examples include the introduction of an accessible server to circulate information, accessible by all employees, thereby reducing the use of paper. Multi-purpose mobile applications can be used by the HR department for improved productivity, including leave submission and expense reimbursement etc. This also helps facilitate database management. Intelligent use of office design greatly improves company productivity through employee job satisfaction, brings order and improves accuracy in the workplace.
2. Creates a more harmonious working atmosphere to narrow the gap between employee and supervisor.
The use of privately partitioned workspaces and separate supervisor rooms may not be conducive to open communication. The smart-based office design concept addresses this problem in several ways. Worktables positioned face-to-face enable employees to share their opinions and ideas with colleagues. Personal belongings are stored in personal lockers, leaving only essential items such as the computer, pens, and a cell phone on the table. Glass walls used for supervisor’s rooms encourages open communication and line of sight for both supervisor and employee. This idea is to promote ease and convenience in communicating and sharing opinions between all level of employees.
3. Provides a space to showcase the successes and pride of the company.
Awareness of the success and growth of an organization by employees can inspire pride and appreciation of their jobs and responsibilities. By providing a Hall of Fame, the company can showcase their achievements and recognize the contribution by employees. Subsequently, this reflects the value the company places on development and growth, can help promote a positive image of the company as a quality environment to work and attract high-caliber personnel as future employees.
4. Provide systems that support meetings and training and facilitate online conferences.
The traditional format in organizing office training and meetings is often hindered when employees of some departments cannot attend because they are busy with other tasks. Smart office is a solution for this problem by way of implementing new technology to support teleconferences, such as a virtual meeting system. Attendants are able to share their opinions and presentations easily via a camera and display screen, as well as a microphone system that reduces ambient noise from the speaker. Training via mobile applications or software-based seminars allows us to record the number of employees attending the event and to summarize the effectiveness of the seminar. This then is useful as a guideline in organizing future events. In addition, it allows us to easily book meeting rooms and schedule appointments for the meeting in advance via mobile applications, sending notifications to all employees concerned. This allows attendants to arrange their time appropriately and contributes to a more effective meeting.
5. Creates a shared workspace for employees to work in teams
Creating a shared workspace under the smart office concept is to design an office with a clear concept of creating a personal space to share ideas. Within this space, personal workstations are moderately spaced apart, each with adapter plugs to support the forum for informal discussions to brainstorm ideas. To add modernity to the space, internet and a comprehensive network connection should be included across the workspace allowing the free expression of ideas at any time.
Smart-based office design, or smart office, focuses on increasing the productivity of employees. Conveniently spaced workstations encourage freer thinking and the ability to easily access the organization database. In addition, it builds a friendlier working environment open to new ideas, contributing greatly to the success and growth of the organization.
Ways to Design Offices to Increase the Productivity of Employees
- Use technology that supports document filing processes. This allows us to easily access, use and manage information, allowing a well-organized, orderly, and accurate approach to work, with increased productivity.
- Creates a friendlier working environment to promote ease and convenience in communicating and sharing opinions between all level of employees.
- Provides a space to showcase their achievements and recognize the contribution by employees. This helps promote a positive image of the company as a quality environment for partners and external stakeholders.
- Implements new technology to support teleconferences and training within the company. Makes available modern equipment that is easy to use and facilitates freer communication between attendants.
- Builds a shared workspace for employees to work together in teams, supports creativity for the free expression of ideas, ultimately always improving the quality of work of employees.